The Christchurch District Court heard on Wednesday that the image was a screenshot from the video recorded by the man who killed 51 people at two city mosques last year. It showed the shooter holding a rifle at the entrance of the Al Noor mosque on Deans Ave, with a deceased body lying in the entrance way.
The image was found on the 42-year-old man's phone while it was being examined by the police's digital forensic unit. Numerous pictures and videos of the Christchurch terror attack were also found on the man's phone.
The man used an app to edit the original video into smaller files, and sent eight emails containing the files on March 17.
Four copies of a manifesto document that has been classified as objectionable were also found on the man's phone.
The man last year pleaded guilty to possessing an objectionable publication, making an objectionable publication, and distributing an objectionable publication.
He also pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis, possession of methamphetamine utensils and unlawful possession of a firearm after police found cannabis plant material, two meth pipes and a cut down .22 calibre bolt action rifle in his home.
The man told a pre-sentence report writer that he holds no anti-Muslim or white supremacist views. He said he thought his associates might like to see the video and he did not give much thought to it when he distributed the footage.
Judge Stephen O'Driscoll sentenced the man to 23 months' imprisonment after saying he was not satisfied that a sentence of home detention was appropriate in this case.
An application for final suppression of the man's name was declined by the judge, but the man's defense counsel indicated they will appeal the decision, meaning he cannot be identified until the appeal has been heard.